Sunday, September 28, 2008

Furnish for Less

Just because you don't have much money, or you don't own your home, doesn't mean you can't have nice looking furniture. Most inexpensive furniture you will find at the Wal/Tar/K-marts, is inexpensive because it's cheap and will fall apart in a few years, or looks like it belongs in a dorm room. What about us people who want furniture that looks fit for a nice home? Do we have to spend thousands of dollars? Maybe. Sometimes. Most of the time- Maybe Not.

This week I finished my most recent furniture rehab project. I'm always in need of more living room seating, as well as a nice place to put my feet up. When we bought our new couches we opted not to get the coordinating ottoman, because of price, and the shape/size just wasn't right for me. Do you know how much a brand-new ottoman costs? Look it up... at least $100 minimum... much more for the nicer/flatter/more functional designs.

I found this piece at a crazy lady's house, while I was purchasing some $3 solid oak twin size headboards (still sitting in garage waiting for a make-over). She thought this ottoman was way too nice to give up for any less than $50. Seriously? Is she aware of what decade we are in? This thing was hideous, but the shape was right. I talked her husband into giving it to me for $8.

I purchased the most expensive fabric I've ever bought at $8.50/ yd, and covered it up. I also spray painted the legs a dark brown. It now looks fabulous with my couches. It's super comfy, and will serve as extra seating when we have a large crowd.

Total price including upholstery thread and a curved needle = $27.50.

Some other inexpensive furniture make-overs, you might remember from my other blog-

A toddler bed for my son, purchased for $6 at a thrift store. Add in some support boards underneath - $5, and a coat of paint - free from my garage. Total price = $11

Solid Oak side table for my living room, matches my other one perfectly, $12 from a thrift store. New coat of paint (around) $3. Total price = $15

Ethan Allen 1941 solid oak hutch and secretary for my kitchen, $80 from Craigslist, $5 coat of paint. Total =$85.



There you have it. It is possible to furnish your home without paying the full price of too much! Sometimes, though, I do think it's a necessity. Okay, maybe necessity is stretching it, but I really had no other options for my entertainment center, unless I wanted my living room to look like a dorm room (which we're trying to avoid). So after much searching I bought my most recent favorite piece of furniture for under $1,000. And by under, I mean $20 under. It was paid in cash, however. We're not using credit cards for anything these days. I've learned quite a bit in debt management this year.

Purchasing this lovely piece was probably not the best idea, nor was the tv, though we have saved (and will continue to save) money, believe it or not, buy splurging on these. More on that, and the debt thing later. You've gotta live, right?

1 comment:

Carol said...

this looks like a good mixture between the one we had in NC that travis built and the one in the play room that trav built. But I am sure it is much nicer.