Monday, September 29, 2008

Paid to Shop CVS

I picked up three items at CVS today, paid nothing out of pocket by using previously earned ECB's, and earned $10.99 ECB back. ECB's are coupons printed at the end of your receipt, that can be used same as cash, but they expire one month from when you earn them.

This is how I did it.
Gillette Fusion razors: $9.99, get $5 ECB back. I used a $4 off coupon from the newspaper inserts I picked up yesterday, so the total I paid was $5.99 in ECB, and nothing out of pocket.

Then, the Covergirl Clean Foundation was $5.49, and I had a BOGO coupon on Covergirl products, so I paid with ECB's and got the concealer for free. Because the CG foundation is FREE after ECB's, I earned $5.49 back.

Another example of getting paid to shop. I really needed the razor and the concealer. I didn't really need the foundation, but because it got me the concealer for free and some more ECB's, it was a good item to purchase.

The reason I went into CVS was actually to transfer over a Rx. They have a promotion this month, if you transfer over a Rx you can get a $30 gift card. I also have a coupon for this promotion for a $25 gift card that expires at the end of the year. This is a great way to get some money to start your CVS savings adventures, and never have to pay anything out of pocket to get started at earning those ECB's.

I didn't get my gift card, however, because I have a government insurance, and because it is federally funded insurance, they won't give me my gift card, unless every time I refill my Rx I want to pay completely out of pocket! ha ha ha ha ha... yeah right. My Rx is about $100 for a 30 day supply! I get it for FREE from the Army post pharmacy, but they won't give me the full 90 days at a time, and I hate going in every 30 days to stand in line for it. But I guess standing in line every month at a crowded military hospital pharmacy is much better than paying $100 every month. Bummer. No $30 gift card for me.

Anyway- If you have Rx, and want to get started on the CVS trips for FREE to begin with, this would be a really good offer to take on!

1 comment:

Sally said...

This new blog is great. It is fun to see all your projects and your savings. I know a lady from Drummond who uses pinchingyourpennies.com and she saves a ton of money even with having to drive to Missoula to hit all the stores. I have used coupons lots and combined them with store sales and I have been shocked at how much I can save. I am inspired by you to maybe put some real effort into it again. It is just much harder when you live in a small town and the closest CVS or Walgreens is 60 miles away. But those stores really are great for saving. And I love your ottoman. I recently bought my most expensive fabric too! I ordered it online and paid over $10/yard for it! Yikes. But it was worth it. I made slip covers for my couch cushions and I have lost left over. Isn't having a house fun!?!